Bookmark and Share

Saturday, July 12, 2008

"29"

I enjoy the fact that I'm a husband to a beautiful and wonderful wife. I enjoy the fact that I'm a father to three beautiful and wonderful children. I enjoy the fact that I've been blessed with a career, a salary to support my family, and all the associated benefits that a career and salary provide. Life is not always perfect and most certainly our road of life is not without its share of bumps, but we are truly and wonderfully blessed despite our unique challenges.

Most mornings as I reflect on the blessings of the past day, the challenges of the current day and pray for my loved ones, I'm reminded of God's provision for my family and my responsibility to use that provision wisely. I'm also reminded of my inclination to be discontent with what's been given to me and my current season of life. I have a mind that delights in planning and strategy and as God continues to direct my path, sometimes with my submission and sometimes in spite of my lack of submission, I'm reminded that I'm not exactly where I thought I'd be. It's not a bad thing, yet as I consider my plans and the reality of where I've been and where I am, I still can't see the big picture. I can see the thread of my life to date but I have no clue what the future holds.

Despite not knowing what's to come, I do have hope for the future and I know with certainty that I have a future. My prayer is that I use God's provision, this season, and the thread of life provided to weave what God directs. My prayer is that as I move into the fourth decade of my life, my desires and will for my life begin to more closely match God's desires and will for my life. Fortunately, the possibilities continue to grow as I do.

Luke 12:16-23

16And He told them a parable, saying, "The land of a rich man was very productive. 17"And he began reasoning to himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?' 18"Then he said, 'This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, (R)you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry."' 20"But God said to him, '(S)You fool! This very night (T)your soul is required of you; and (U)now who will own what you have prepared?' 21"So is the man who (V)stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God." 22And He said to His disciples, "(W)For this reason I say to you, do not worry about your life, as to what you will eat; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. 23"For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing.

No comments: