Bookmark and Share

Friday, June 6, 2008

"I Am Defined"

I've been doing some reflection this week, given the birth of our third child. He's a perfectly formed baby boy and a blessing from God to us. As I consider the years of pewee football, family vacations, school, and youth in general for him, I can't help but look back on my life. I am a product of my experiences, whether they be how my parents raised me, or my early relationships with my friends, or even the books I chose to read. I am defined by those relationships, those choices, for good or bad that's who I am, and that's how my son will be defined when he reaches adulthood. I'm not saying that we're all just products, with no control over our definitions, but what I am saying is that our environment and our choices form us and develop our character. As parents we have a responsibility to shape a healthy environment for our kids and ensure that they are shepherded toward adulthood. Given the gravity of that responsibility I am so very thankful that my faith allows me to trust that my children will also be the product of a relationship with a loving God, whose providence gave them to us, and whose character will define their character.

If we are all defined by our experiences, be they good or bad, I can't help but consider how these thoughts relate to our current race for the presidency. There are many choices a parent can make that truly affect the lifestyle and development of their children, where to live, where to go to church, where to send them to school, and the list goes on. Every four years we also have the right and responsibility to evaluate and choose a president, the leader who sets the direction for our society and thus has an impact on our children's environment. I believe that when choosing we should consider all aspects of the candidates character, where they grew up, where they went to school, who their parents were, where they chose to live, who they chose to befriend, where they go or went to church, and consider truly if their words match their actions. Let's face it, when the chips are down, we all act according to our definitions, as our character dictates. Prudence dictates that there is no better gauge of the future choices a person will make than those they made in the past, but compassion and hope compel us to believe that people can change if they truly choose to do so. As for me, my choice will be prudently and hopefully made, with consideration of all aspects of each candidates' character. My choice will be made with consideration given to the environment in which I hope to raise my son. And once my choice is made, irregardless of the outcome, I will always have hope for my son's future.

No comments: