Bookmark and Share

Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Legacy"

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body" -C.S. Lewis

It's father's day and as I look at my children, I can't help but wonder what the future holds. I wish that I had a score card or some visible, daily reminder of how I'm doing as a father. I know that sometimes I'm self-absorbed and their little voices and questions go unheard. I know that sometimes I react with frustration when they cry or seek my attention. I know that sometimes I'm too busy to really listen to what's on their little minds and to really spend the time to touch their little hearts. In reality, most times I am only "I" and not "WE", I am only "ME" and not "THEY". I was reminded today that they are my only legacy. When I am no more than a picture and some words in the back of a newspaper, they will still be here leaving their mark on this world. In the light of eternity, their souls and our own are all that matters. All the work I've done will crumble, all the wealth I've accumulated will be spent, and all the days spent chasing "stuff" will be lost.

It's hard for me to comprehend what it means to view my life in the light of eternity. With regard to my children, I think it means that I have to demonstrate that people, no matter who they are, are more important than "stuff". It means that I have to live what I believe every day, whether they see me or not. It struck me today when I heard that it means to have the same passion and drive for my family that I have for my career. It's not an easy task, but for my children and for my legacy, it's the most important task I have.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Beautifully written Shawn!